RALPH GIBSON

Ralph Gibson is an American art photographer, born on January 16, 1939 in Los Angeles. He is mostly known for his photographic books. His images often incorporate fragments with mysterious undertones, and have the ability to build narrative meaning through contextualization.  Gibson has maintained a lifelong fascination with books and book-making. He has 12 publications, work in 12 different collections, and over 15 awards ranging from the Guild Hall Academy of the Arts Lifetime Award (2015) to the National Endowment for the Arts fellowship (1973).

Gibson's many photographs show excellent examples of positive/negative space and extreme contrast, but the photos themselves seem to tell a story. Every one of his photos tell a unique story, and the most interesting part: the story doesn't have to be the same to everyone. I look at one of his photos and my mind can, and most likely will, create a different story from a other person.

I loved all of Gibson's work. I usually don't like all of an artist's work, but this time I did. I found all his photo interesting and well thought out. I like being able to create a story of my own when I see the photograph, like the photo I added in below. With just that one photo, my mind can create at least three different stories that could be related to it.




Comments

Popular Posts